Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Embossing

Before knowing what embossing was, the word actually intimidated me. Here is a tutorial for a card that I made similar to one we gave for a wedding this past weekend. In this tutorial, I'm using Bravo Burgundy cardstock as my base. Using the Coluzzle Cutting System, I placed the oval template down on my Bravo Burgundy but underneath the cardstock, I used the cutting mat that comes with the system. You use this neat little swivel blade that fits into the channels of the template.



On the oval piece of Brava Burgundy cardstock, I stamped an image from Garden Silhouettes which is a Level 2 Hostess Set. For my ink, I used Whisper White Craft Ink which contains a pigment that will make the embossing powder stick to it.


I used white embossing powder but you can use clear embossing powder, both giving basically the same look. Tap off all of the excess embossing powder so that it is just covering the stamped image.

You need to use a heat tool which is MUCH hotter than blow dryer. This step basically melts the embossing powder to the ink and therefore, giving it a raised, shiny appearance.


I distressed the edges of my oval with the Cutter Tool which is a really neat tool that contains the distress tool that is shown here, a cutter, a scorer and a perforator!


I laid my Brava Burgundy down on the template and then used the next largest channel to layer behind this. I used Whisper White cardstock for this and distressed it the same way.



I glued the layers together and left it alone as far as greetings, etc. It can be used as a notecard or I can even add my own greeting when needed.
Embossing really adds a nice touch and I like the way this card looks. Simple but elegant. Any questions?!


No comments: