Friday, November 30, 2007

Fall Driving -- Watch out for deer!

Last evening while taking Rachael to dance in New Hartford, I was driving on Higby Road. There was a small car in front of me and I saw a deer run across in front of her. I had the presence of mind, at that time, to assume there were probably other deer nearby and slowed down. What happened next was a very surreal moment for me that is still quite vivid in my mind and has played over and over many times since.

A second deer darted across in front of the driver in front of me who hit the deer and in the next moment, the deer went up over her car and came toward my windshield. I even cringed at the sight of the deer which landed just above my windshield, striking the roof of my vehicle quite hard and loud.

After all is said and done, we were very lucky including the woman who first hit the deer. She sustained a shattered windshield and the top of my vehicle is scuffed and I have a broken luggage rack.

I've always heard the saying "count your blessings" and I often have done this. I certainly am counting them even more now. Please take caution in driving especially at this time of year. It is hunting season and deer are on the move more. Counting my blessings................

No comments: